makes: 24-26 sandwiches
prep time: 30 minutes, plus chilling time
cook time: 10 minutes
for the cookies:
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp simply tera’s lactose free organic whey protein, dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp melted Carrington Farms Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
for the coconut whipped cream:
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut cream, chilled overnight
- 1 tbsp simply tera’s lactose free organic whey protein, bourbon vanilla
- 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- preheat the oven to 350° F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- in a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, all purpose flour, cocoa powder, chocolate protein powder, coconut sugar, salt, and baking soda. set aside.
- in a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut milk.
- add the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until smooth, adding a splash or two more of coconut milk if the mixture is too dry.
- scoop batter into 1 tbsp-sized dollops onto the prepared pans. bake for 8-9 minutes, until set and the tops are dry to the touch. Let the cookies cool completely before filling.
- to make the coconut whipped cream, place chilled coconut cream in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, along with the vanilla protein powder, powdered sugar, and a pinch of salt. Whip on medium high speed until thickened and soft peaks form.
- transfer whipped cream to a piping bag and pipe filling onto half of the cookies. top with the remaining cookies to create sandwiches and serve immediately.