Spinach + Ricotta Protein Calzones
Do you love Italian food?
Do you love spinach or cheese?
Do you need more protein in your diet?
If you answered, “Yes,” to all, or any, of the questions listed above: This spinach + ricotta protein calzone is the faultless, scrumptious, small serving size dinner for you!
It starts with the dough.
¾ cup, 2 tablespoons water
1 package active dry yeast (2 grams)
3 cups all purpose-four
½ teaspoon salt
4 scoops tera’swhey plain protein powder
- Add water to a large mixing bowl.
- Add yeast, let yeast rise for 5 minutes.
- Mix well with a whisk or fork.
- Add flour, salt and whey protein powder. Stir well.
- Let rise for 20 minutes (or wrap in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator overnight.)
- Separate into 8 pieces and roll out into flat, circular layers. Set aside.
Next, stuff the dough.
10 oz. fresh spinach
16 oz. Ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese
8 oz. Tomato sauce (16oz total for extra dipping sauce)
Salt + pepper
- Dice spinach and place into a large bowl.
- Add ricotta and parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Add one tablespoon tomato puree to the middle of the dough in each individual layer.
- Place two large tablespoons of spinach and ricotta mixture on top of the tomato puree.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Now, close the calzones.
- Pull one half of the dough over the other side until the edges are aligned.
- Press the two sides together with your fingertips.
- Once the sides are pressed together, carefully fold the dough over on itself to make a crust.
Finally, bake the calzones.
- Brush an egg white over the dough before placing in the oven.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Remove, let cool for 5 minutes before eating or refrigerate in an airtight container