Friday the 13th: The UN-luckiest day of the year!
The dreaded, unluckiest day of the year has arrived (dun, dun, duuuuunn!)! Today is Friday the 13th— and it’s the only one of the entire year. I guess that’s some good luck there, right? Has this date haunted you with bad luck or do you find yourself getting nervous as it approached? Whether you are superstitious or not, check out these 5 fascinating facts about Friday the 13th:
- Friday the 13th will always occur at least once per year and can occur up to 3 times in any given year.
- Friday the 13th being the unluckiest day of the year has roots in the 19th century. How Friday and the number 13 became linked and noted as unlucky is still a mystery.
- There is no data or statistical proof that supports that 13 is an unlucky number.*
- The fear of the number 13 is known as friggatriskaidekaphobia. Say that 13 times fast!
- About 17 to 21 million people in the U.S. are affected by a fear of this day. This makes it most feared day and date in history, according to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina.
Wishing you GOOD luck today. And, let’s all consider ourselves lucky that this is the only Friday the 13th this year!
* According to Igor Radun of the Human Factors and Safety Behavior Group at the University of Helsinki’s Institute of Behavioural Sciences in Finland