Cooking with the Green Monster: Broccoli
As a lover of food, I’m constantly trying to find new and creative ways to eat healthy. I find myself eating the same healthy vegetables every day; neglecting the greens I don’t enjoy as much (especially broccoli). One of the best ways to cook the greens you forget about is stuffing them into vegetables that you adore! My favorite way to cook broccoli is to mix it with a baked spaghetti squash.
What you’ll need:
1 spaghetti squash, 2 cups chopped broccoli (feel free to add more!), 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 medium onion, 3 cloves minced garlic, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, 1 tsp Italian Seasoning, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
How this works:
- Cut the squash in half and place side-by-side into a microwavable safe dish. Pour ¼ cup water into the baking dish to mold around the squash halves. Cook in microwave on high for 9-12 minutes (until squash is tender). Remove and set aside.
- Dice onions and mince garlic. Add olive oil to a pan and heat on low for 30 seconds. Add onions and garlic to the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broccoli to the onion and garlic mix. Add 2 tbsp. water and turn up heat, then sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes. Sauté until the broccoli is tender and the onions are transparent.
- After squash has cooled use a fork to remove the bulk out of the middle. Scrape out squash (the meat) to leave a bowl-like skin remaining. Place squash into a separate mixing bowl. When both skins remain, drain the excess water from the baking dish.
- Combine the broccoli mixture to the spaghetti squash. Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- Place the broccoli/squash mixture back inside of the squash skins and add mozzarella cheese to the top.
- Turn the broiler in the oven on high and place the squash inside. WATCH: depending on the broiler the cheese could brown between 2-4 minutes. When the cheese is browning, remove and let cool.
Tell us on our Facebook page how you like to hide your vegetables! Send us your recipe(s) for a chance to get featured on our social media channels!
~Kat, with tera’swhey®