Back to School: Backpack-friendly Snacks
Whether you’re helping a little one pack their backpack or grabbing the textbook for your own 8am lecture, packing a healthy snack is just as essential as that notebook and pencil. Controlling hunger through eating small snacks multiple times a day helps provide focus and energy to learn. Make sure you’re back to school ready with these 5 healthy snacks:
- Homemade Trail Mix– Blend together several trail mix essentials like almonds, pumpkin seeds, raisins and goji berries to create a delicious blend of ingredients and flavors. Skip adding the dark chocolate or peanut butter chips in this batch to avoid a backpack full of a melty mess.
- Strawberry Banana Protein Muffins– Make these simple muffins on Sunday afternoon and enjoy them on-the-go all week long! The combination of fruit and protein makes these morsels perfect for a mid-morning snack that will help provide energy and satiety to keep focused during the school day.
- Fresh Veggies- Celery, carrots, jicama and radishes are backpack approved veggies that won’t spoil or be easily squished. Wash, cut, bag and this light snack is ready!
- Granola Bar– Homemade or store bought, granola bars are a quick, no-brainer snack perfect for grabbing on the way out the door. Look for bars that are low in sugar and offer protein that will offer satiation.
- Ready-to-Drink Protein Beverage– A chocolate or vanilla protein beverage is a crunch-free, classroom friendly snack that won’t distract anyone in the middle of a discussion, lecture or project. With 26 grams of whey protein, it will sure to quiet a growling stomach that demands nutrients.
Good luck and happy snacking back in the classroom!